Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Ignoring the Creeps

Truthfully, it's been a bad couple of weeks for me as a woman in my little town. First I met an old man who was a photographer and he kept letting his camera hit me inappropriately and apologizing with that look on his face. Second, I was out to see my friends' band and this guy sat between me and the band and kept turning around and outright staring at me. Then he took the empty seat next to me and kept "accidentially" hitting me with his leg about 15 times. Oh! "by accident". Right.

In one of my nonprofit jobs, I would buy townhouses for rental to lower-income families. Just before closing on a purchase, I had to confirm that all the final punch-out items had been completed by the builder. During the course of a few years, I visited 20 construction sites, dressed nicely for my office job. Although most of the men were professional, there were some who were not, and those smiles and comments and little quips always followed. The thing about it is that you never know what you are going to encounter.

I never get angry or say anything to these men. I grew up in a real working class area where you would be severly ridiculed if you complained and did not "play along". For the most part it doesn't bother me. In a way it is a compliment that the man finds me attractive although he lacks the social graces to keep it to himself. I certainly don't welcome it. I feel that the look I give the man and returning to the business at hand in a no nonsense way, brushes the whole incident aside.

I always wonder if I should be confrontational and angry and tell these men that it is not appropriate for them to make these little comments with that look on their face. I can't imagine being a man and acting the way they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment