Sunday, August 19, 2007

Same Story, Different Day

At the pool today, I spoke with the husband of a friend. He talked about how it was really getting her down to try and enter the workforce again after being home with the kids. I told him how I had started a second blog on this subject (I participate in a community blog for our city). He said we should get together as a support group. As I stood there in the water, I realized there really was a need for all of us to talk.

Even if we find a job, most likely it will be below our capabilities. A recent interview for a position below the one I left ten years ago included anxiety by the interviewer over my computer skills. Ten to one odds my computer skills were far superior to hers and I had her job when I left, so in my mind.... ah, forget it.

Take a job below our skills to get back working? Just do something that's fun even though it doesn't pay? Hold out for the same type of job you left?

No comments:

Post a Comment